Monday, February 23, 2009

SO SAD

So last night , just after getting home from having Sunday dinner at my parent's house, Andy was running to the front steps & fell face first into a concrete step. It was pitch black outside, so I didn't know how much damage had been done until I cupped my hand over his mouth and it filled with blood. You can imagine what is going through my head.....does my baby still have his teeth? All I can say is that it was good that Brandon was there to help, because I was a wreck. I bawled much harder than Andy. I Have always been interested in the nursing program.....I know now that that is not the profession for me. So we get him into the house & he's bleeding so bad that we can't see if his teeth are still there or not. Im hyperventilating. He starts screeming "MY TEETH, MY TEETH!" More hyperventilation. Brandon can finally see that his teeth are still intact, but one of his front teeth is pushed back, he has a deep cut in his bottom lip and his top gums are hamburger. We rushed him to the emergency room. He was so good. He didn't cry the entire time. The doctor said that his tooth felt pretty solid, but to take him to the dentist first thing in the morning. I just got back from the dentist. The verdict...there's enough nerve damage that his tooth will most likely turn black. If he gets an infection in his gums, which the dentist said could very well happen, they will have to pull his tooth. My feelings.....I'm completely devastated. My baby's perfectly beautiful white smile is damaged. It will be about five years before he can have it back again. (when his adult teeth come in) I am, however, very grateful he's going to be ok. It could always be worse. I will just have to hope and pray things will all work out. As of now, I'm living in a nightmare. Just one look into his mouth and I'm on the verge of passing out. It's bad.....way bad. So no, I will not be posting any pictures of his injuries. It's not something I want in the photo album either. I hope to forget the horror. The pain and heartache I feel for my little boy runs deep. All you mothers out there know exactly what I'm talking about. You wish that you could take their pain away. You wish it would have happened to you instead of them...that somehow you could take their place. I hope he will heal fast....

5 comments:

Thunderbay said...

Elise I am so sorry you had to go through this. I can't even imagine being there I think I would have passed out... As a mom I can only imagine how hurt you were and I'm sorry. I wish I would have given you a hug last night, I didn't even think about it. I'm an AIRHEAD! I was trying so hard to fight back the tears when you and Andy walked in. I wanted to be brave for Andy but he taught me another lesson. He was the one who was brave and he instantly brought a smile to my face when he showed me his cool stickers. I am sorry you had to go through this, I wish I could take the pain away from both of you.

Anonymous said...

Not fun! I hope I never have to go through that. Trudi knocked her two front teeth out when she was 3 or 4 and was toothless for quite awhile. Give him a popcicle for me (I am sure it hurts to eat with his sores). I couldnt be a nurse either...unless it was a nurse in the well baby nursery and I rocked babies all day!

Chris and Dianne Clan said...

That is so sad! If if makes you feel any better...Hayes' front tooth turned black when he fell on the concrete (we didn't have nearly the blood that poor little Andy had), but it actually healed and turned white again, Ty's front tooth is chipped, Scotty's front to is also dead and very gray (not quite black). Even with Chris' dad being a dentist there isn't much he can do. I agree...there is nothing worse than your babies being hurt! I hope he feels better soon!

Mower Family said...

That totally sucks Elise. I am so sorry.

Papworth's said...

That breaks my heart!! Poor poor little guy. I do understand the whole take their pain away thing. Don't we all wish they would never get hurt and we could always protect them. I wish so badly that were the case. I do hope everything heals well and that he isn't in very much pain at all!! I hope your heart heals too!!